August 12, 2007

My PSI's

My newest adventure into fiber arts is PSI's - I recently joined FAT - a fiber art trading group on yahoo. My first swap w them will be PSI's (Plus Size Inchies) representing the 4 seasons of the year - these little beauties will be addicting - I can tell and they were soooo much fun to make. I started w a 5 inch charm of batik background fabric - fused to a piece of Fast2Fuse and used the fabric as inspiration for machine quilting. I then couched on fun yarns and embroidery floss or pearl cottons in colors that complimented the print of the background fabric. For winter I was not feeling so good about my fabric choice until I remember I technique I used effectively on Ivan where I spread a thin layer of dryer lint over the background and then thread painted over tulle to secure it in place. The technique worked well again here. I fused complementary background fabric to each 5" piece and cut into 1 1/2" charms (PSI's) . And to my surprise I had 9 of each instead of the required 6 - my friends will tell you Math is not my strong point. I zigzagged the edges and then the fun began - digging thru my stuff to find just the right embellishments to finish each piece... I am pleased w the result.

Bonus shot for the day - more nature in the suburbs - our 2nd entry into the natural mosquito repellent competition - this beauty was basking in the warm sun near our deck out back this morning - first picture is a front view, 2nd picture is a back view - amazing...

No comments: