October 14, 2007

Falling Leaves - Oct Journal Quilt

This month I felt like doing something “Fallish” for my journal quilt. I selected a batik FQ from my stash that had fall colors in it and decided to let the pattern of the fabric influence my background quilting. In the open spaces I decided to do grid quilting – and I like the effect. In the more printed spaces I doodled in variegated thread to enhance the pattern and in the more tonal printed spaces I just simply outline quilted for geometric effect – I like the outcome. Note to self – do your background quilting first – before you add anything to the piece – it will make the background quilting much easier. That being said – I added the branch – before any of the background quilting was done. – LESSON LEARNED –
I also knew I wanted to put silk leaves on the piece – it is fall you know even though it does not seem like it here in Texas… I played with many arrangements before I settled on this simple linear design. I kept hearing the voice of one of my journal class students – “that is too predictable” – Thanks Caroline for making me think outside my box. The leaves are Free Motion Embroidered into place – using the printed veins on the leaves as the guide.

4 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Pam, this quilt is gorgeous. I love the fabric but also the design and layout.

DebbyMc said...

Beautiful, Pam! The colors are fantastic and it really does make me "feel" Fall!

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Beautiful! It is inspirational.

Granny Fran said...

I love the way your did the free motion quilting on the leaf veins. Fall leaves are so beautiful!