August 29, 2008

AQWS Sample and more Olympic Pin Cushions

My creative deadlines seem to be choking me right now - but I am crossing them off one by one.

1. RR for KM - DONE! - can't show the picture in case she is looking

2. AQWS Sample - for Sept Class - For September my class will be on "stitched collages" inspired by the book by Sherrill Kahn - Below is a picture of my class sample.

I like building my art quilts in layers - and this one is no different. I started w a 12x12 piece of fusible fleece and the green batik with the bamboo detail. I background stitched with a straight stitch all the green areas to make the bamboo areas POP. Then I couched embroidery floss and pearl cotton to add extra dimension to the piece. Next I added the center piece of royal blue organza (or at least I think it is... it came out of an envelope a friend gave me full of samples used to make flags for her daughters high school drill team... Then I added stitching on top of the overlay to outline the couched detail beneath. The effect is nice. You can see it better in the detail below...

While pressing I noticed the organza starting to melt in the center of one of the couched loops so that gave me a good reason to pull out my wood burning tool and distress the center of each of the loops - I love the outcome. The center embellishment are clear orange circles form the clearance aisle at JoAnn's and the green circles are the color coders off my husbands perscription bottles from Target. To finish the piece - I cut a 20x20 square of Fast2Fuse and put a complimentary batik around the edges. I thread painted my pebble design on the "border" and the fused the smaller piece to the larger one. I secured the small quilt with a straight stitch around the overlay area and a blanket stitch at the outside edge. Then couched orange plastic canvas yarn to finish the edges. Yippee it's done and I am happy with it - off to the store tomorrow with it...

3. More Olympic Pin Cushions - finished Sunday night during the closing ceremonies.

And this one I like sooo much - I may not be able to part with it - but I guess it's OK to reward myself with some of my own handy-work - Right?

1 comment:

Kate North said...

What a nice little art quilt - I really like it!