January 01, 2006

A Winter Tree

My first Journal Quilt is now complete - it took me approximately 3 1/2 hr this morning and I am pretty happy with it...
I used 3 new stitches and played with the mirror image feature on my sewing machine. I have had my machine for 6 years and since I started making post cards I have branched out so to speak on the stitches I use...
I also used several different threads. All the information about the things I did and stitches I used is documented on the back of the 'journal quilt'.




A Winter Tree
This is the front of the Journal Quilt - I added a poem on trees by Karen Shragg "Think Like a Tree".

This is the back of my journal quilt. I simply did a word document - fused muslin and ran it thru my printer before I took the backing off. I worked really well. The border is a simple satin stitch with a top stitch down the middle - something I use in postcard making.

Here are just a couple other photo's from this morning - just because...

The view from my sewing room this morning and my helper - Shadow.

Adding the poem from my journal quilt since you cannot read it in the photo...

Think Like a Tree
by Karen I.
Shragg

Soak up the sun

Affirm life's magic

Be graceful in the wind

Stand tall after a storm

Feel refreshed after it rains

Grow strong without notice

Be prepared for each season

Provide shelter to strangers

Hang tough through a cold spell

Emerge renewed at the first signs of spring

Stay deeply rooted while reaching for the sky

Be still long enough tohear your own leaves rustling.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Fellow Journal Challenge quilter here....thanks for taking the plunge and getting us all started...love the background you used here with your tree...I sure would like to be able to read the poem, though. Can you please post it for us? Thanks, Allison

Pat/SWquilter said...

Wow! You rule! I'm still fooling around with my design, trying to get to a point where I am even ready to start the finished product. Congratulations! It looks great.

Pam said...

Thanks Allison and Pat - I decided that my journal quilts will be 'non-designed' projects - meaning I will decide what day I am going to do it - go to my sewing room and use whatever surfaces that works - Don't want to spend alot of time planning - just want to be a design of the moment. I will post the poem on my blog...

Pam said...

Think Like a Tree
by Karen I. Shragg
Soak up the sun
Affirm life's magic
Be graceful in the wind
Stand tall after a storm
Feel refreshed after it rains
Grow strong without notice
Be prepared for each season
Provide shelter to strangers
Hang tough through a cold spell
Emerge renewed at the first signs of spring
Stay deeply rooted while reaching for the sky
Be still long enough to
hear your own leaves rustling.

DebbyMc said...

Just lovely, Pam. And the poem is great. Thank you for that =-) And thanks for getting us going...I like your "non-plan" for working on these journals...I want to work in a similarly spontaneous and intuitive way on mine...

Debby

Pat/SWquilter said...

Thanks for the advice on eliminating the puckers in my tree trunks - I'll give the printer paper a shot first. I'm hoping to avoid something as stiff as peltex or timtex because the inspiration for my design was actually some glass leaf beads I found at the Bead Museum Store. I'm hoping to accomplish a flat tree trunk, then bead it with the leaves - so it's really more of an autumn tree than winter, and maybe do some handquilting. The stabilizer I used is a very thin, water soluble one that Julie Hocker uses in her threadplay - and I got two flat tree shapes done in her class, one with stabilizer & muslin, the other just on the stabilizer. So I know it can be done, it's just been too long since I took her class. But I'm pretty sure we adjusted the bobbin tension. Printer paper though could be do-able if I could tear it away after I got the tree done.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love your journal quilt and the poem. Thanks for sharing and good for you getting motivated on the first day of the month! I thought I was doing good just planning it this early!

Linda

Rian said...

Wow Pam, you rock! It's a beautiful journal entry, AND a lovely poem. You made a two-fer!

Deb Geyer said...

Nice page, Pam! Thanks for sharing.

Granny Fran said...

How exciting to see what one of us has done! Since I've never even done postcards this is a whole new adventure for me and I love seeing what others are doing and the techniques used. Your explanation on the back of the page is such a good idea for documentation so you can "remember" in the future. The idea of being so spontaneous goes against my grain so guess what I need to practice?

Micki said...

what a nice first entry. and the poem is great.

Jen said...

Wow, you are quick. I love the journal page you made and the idea of using a poem with it. Trees have always been a favorite subject of mine, too. Jen

Anonymous said...

I like your January piece. I can't believe that a few of use love trees and decided to use them as our subject.

I need to go work on mine, Jan. 20th will be here before I know it!

Marianne said...

Great first entry, have seen it before but didn't comment yet. I've never done thread paining and am exploring a bit with my first entry as well. I like your idea of working spontaneously and just go ahead with it. In general I will go with the first idea that pops in my mind but I tend to slow down after that LOL. Was it 3,5 hours? You are my hero!

Suze said...

Really like the tree and the poem is so appropriate...that one branch hanging down looks like its trying to pull the poem right into the heart of the tree...