We have a dove that has decided to nest in one of the terracotta pots on my deck in the back yard that usually has flowers in it by now - but the rains in Dallas last weekend prevented any type of yard work and lo and behold - Schuyler (my hubby) discovered Dottie as we fondly named her on Monday this week. I have learned this week thru internet research that doves are terrible nest builders due to the shape of the talons on their feet - I believe this to be true as the next really consists of no more than a few blades of grass loosely woven into a round shape. Dottie has 2 eggs in the nest and is very wary of us - but we are trying to make her feel welcome and have even put food out on the deck in a bowl for her to eat. She was off the nest for a good amount of time this afternoon while we were out doing yard work - so we hope all is well with the babies. Research tells me they hatch in about 14 days from the time the eggs are laid so we should have little doves by early April... Here is a picture of the nest that I took this afternoon...

Check back often I will try to make regular updates on Dottie and the babies progress...
2 comments:
For everyone's spring-like photos, that's the best yet. Hope it all goes well for mom and chicks.
They almost missed on that nest, didn't they? Is it Mourning Doves? I'm late seeing this so they must be almost hatched by now. I get so much joy from the birds in my yard.
Post a Comment