Well here it is - my March Journal Quilt - I am really happy with it!! I started with a blank piece of muslin and a rough sketch of a tree from my parent’s yard in OHIO. Then I added color with fabric ink. Added detail with pigma pen- Wow this looks great I thought… Then the A-HA moment – why didn’t I do the background first? I carefully painted the sky and ground detail around my beautiful tree. After that all dried – I added more detail to the tree with fabric ink and a pigma pen. Then the piece was carefully heat set and I did some thread painting to add the final detail. The last step was hand embroidery for the little leaves on the tree – I tried to use my needle punch tool – but the embroidery floss kept breaking so hand embroidery was the next best option. This is what the trees look like around my house right now… Overall I am very pleased with this piece – but have set a very high standard for future pieces I hope I can come close to achieving in journal quilts to come. March Poem is on the back again...
By Adrian Wait
There’s a new leaf upon the tree
A thousand, thousand have been before

9 comments:
Beautiful! Don't you just love it when everything comes together so nicely?
I just love that first you inked the whole thing! With the thread painting over the ink it has a unique look that I really like. I am going to have to try something like that...just love this.
And the poem is exquisite....thanks so much...
Very nice Pam! It was very interesting seeing the whole process in Webshots. Thanks for posting all those photos!
I'm with Deb, the process pics on Webshot were really neat. The trees around here are just about like that now, but after the recent rain and with warmer weather, they will be fully clothed in no time.
I like the continuity of your tree theme and the poems that accompany them1
Very nicely done, Pam. Doing thread play over a painted cloth is lots of fun and gives a nice overall look. Keep up the good work!
Isn't the creative flow a wonderous journey?! It looks and sounded like you had a rewarding experience. Nice work! Looking forward to your next tree.
You really stretched yourself this month. The tree is beautiful and the thread painting is so effective, I love how well the dye and thread work to make spring clouds. Congratulations on going out on a limb. [Sorry but I love puns.} Where do you find your poems, are they ones you already knew or did you search for each one specifically to go with your quilt?
What an appropriate poem for this piece. Your piece is just great. I have been thinking about trying out the inks and then thread painting over them. Your piece is very inspirational.
Very pretty and I like the techniques you used. I was in Carollton this weekend! My dh got his motorcycle!
Post a Comment