October 08, 2006

October Bounty













We finally had a cool day (86) here in Dallas - so I was on a mission to get some fall yard work done - much my surprise when I started cleaning out the tomato plants (which barely produced anything all summer) - I found all these little goodies on my pepper plants which had produced even less all summer. I have about given up trying to have a productive garden here in the middle of cement city. Our yard is small and there is not a good location to plant a real garden like the one I grew up with and my dad still plants and tends to faithfully every year. Yes that is a cateloupe hiding in the vines in the 3rd photo - there are actually 2 on the vine - I wonder how the birds missed them and when it is time to pick them - how do I tell they are ripe? The peppers will make a fine supper of Pepper Steak - hubby's favorite and the jalapeno's will make some nice fresh salsa and enchilada sauce...ummm - my mouth is watering just thinking about it... What a nice surprise which made the yard clean worth while...

1 comment:

Granny Fran said...

Yummy, doesn't it feel good when you can actually harvest something? The melon photo is gorgeous and makes me think of my childhood on a farm where we grew cantalopes near Rocky Ford, Colorado; self proclaimed the "Melon Capital of the World". Now all the water is being sold off to growing cities and not many melon farms left.