November 05, 2006

October Journal Quilt - An Abstract Autumn Tree

RENEW
By Pam Patton

Inhale deeply the crisp fall air
Cleanse your soul
As the leaves become a rainbow of warmth
The message is clear.
It’s time to renew Winter is near as is a New Year
Better late than never again - but here is my October Journal.
Another simple – yet effective combination of several techniques I have experimented with in my journal quilts this past year. Solid background piece is doodle quilted with metallic variegated thread – it only broke once during the quilting process – a vast improvement from previous metallic thread experiments. Thanks to my thread painting class with Libby Lehman earlier in the year I now know not to put the metallic threads on the thread holder of the machine or thread them thru the last catch on the machine to avoid this problem. The tree is a solid piece of fabric fused to scrap batting and then temporarily attached to the background with a glue stick. This holds the tree in place long enough for me to edge stitch and then thread paint the bark detail. I like the use of the batting underneath to added dimension and the use of variegated thread to add high-low shading interest to the dark brown fabric of the tree.
Checkout webshots to see the back and the orginial inspriation for the piece

4 comments:

Kim said...

I like the the background, really compliments the simplicity of the tree. Nicely done. Also, very much like your original poem!

DebbyMc said...

Very nice, Pam =-) The background makes me think of leaves swirling in an autumn wind, and I love the silouette of the tree. Your tree series has been so fun to watch evolve.

laura west kong said...

Lovely shape of the tree!

Anonymous said...

Your background stitching is fantastic and gives so much movement to the piece as well as the scrumptious color scheme. I like your idea of putting batting behind the tree to give it some dimension. I wish I could see all your trees together in person.