Old Barns in general fascinate me. I grew up in mid west Ohio where barns dot the country side. As I return regularly to visit my parents, I see that these old barns are being torn down and replaced by "progress". Fortunately in parts of Ohio - Agriculture is still a way of life and there are still beautiful barns to be seen. Quilt Barns - or barns with quilt blocks painted on them are popping up across the state. Inspired by the old Mail Pouch Barns - these works of art - displayed proudly for everyone passing to see are unique and representative of the individual owner. For some reason I have a strong desire to drive the countryside and see as many of these barns as possible. So far I have seen 7 in person - here are my photo's of the barns I have been lucky enough to see. Check out the links for more information...
Over the Thanksgiving Holiday - I was able to see the first 2 barns on a trip to my Grandmother's house. They are in
Miami County Ohio . The county is celebrating a bicentennial this year and barns are being painted across the county in commemoration.

Eidemiller Barn in Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio
Pattern: Hunters Star green-white

Watson Barn in Monroe Township, Miami County, Ohio
Pattern: 54-40 or Fight red-white-blue
The barns below are in SE Ohio where my husband and I vacationed with my family during July. These barns have been painted in an effort to boost awareness of Athens County and highlight Appalachian Heritage of the region. A Patchwork Tour thru Athens County

Walker Barn in Athens County, Millfield Ohio
Pattern: Brickwork Block - red-white-green

Loveland Barn in Athens County, Athens Ohio
Pattern: Old Indian Trail Block

Bircher Barn in Athens County, Millfield Ohio
Pattern: State of Ohio Block

Wend Barn in Athens County, Nelsonville, Ohio
Pattern: Coal Miners Block

Jones Barn in Athens County, Glouster Ohio
Pattern: Cat's Paw Block
12.8 update...
here are some links to other quilt barn projects that might be of interest
http://www.grundycountyia.com/Quilt_Website/Home%20Page.html
http://www.clinchpowell.net/quilts.html
http://www.thebarnjournal.org/
9 comments:
This former Buckeye thanks you for the pics! I never did see any, but sure love looking at them here.
(How do you make your pictures so they enlarge when clicking?)
Believe it or not, there's a huge Barn Restoration community in Michigan and Ohio. A lot of Barns are being torn down as farms become housing subdivisions ... but others are being lovingly restored. Google Barn Restoration and you'll find lots of organizations, consultants and barn-lovers like us ;-)
I have always loved the look of old barns. I used to see them a lot when I visited my mom in Ky., but there aren't too many here in So. Cal.
I love the idea of the painted quilt blocks. Thanks for sharing. Jen
Quilts and barns just go together like milk and cookies! Love your pictures & thanks for the tour!
I love the Amish, and I love looking at barns with either those 'hex' designs or a quilt block. Thanks for showing them.
How neat, Pam. I'm from Indiana. I've not seen any barn quilts there but I will look next time I visit there.
I'm a former Buckeye, too. How cool are these!! Thank you for sharing.
I love old barns as well and have photographed many in our area which are slowly falling into decay. My DH is currently building a barn himself and is loving the process although he wishes it were already complete. We grow hay on our small farm and are being overrun by 'progress' in our upstate SC area as well. It's sad. Thanks for the links.
These are wonderful Pam. Thanks for sharing them.
Post a Comment