I actually started this journal back in Sept 2006 but in an effort to reduce the number of UFO’s in my possession, I decided it was time to finish it. For January – I decided a ‘fresh start’ was a good idea. I love this song by Jimmy Buffet and Martina McBride – and even though it actually refers to some reflection on someone’s birthday – it also seems appropriate for the start of a new year.
This year my journal quilts are going to be technique training and more experimental. With that in mind this piece is my first real attempt at hand beading – I just wanted to see if I liked it or not. After doing this piece I have decided I do like hand beading and now know that more will come in my life. My challenge is adding the embellishment so it is an asset to the piece and not overly done – which may be the case on this journal quilt. The line is simple in nature and I do like the motion and detail the beads add to the piece. I also like the variety of tonal color it adds. My thoughts now are that maybe it should have been more spaced – not a solid line, but learning what looks good is what experimenting is all about and the main reason for my journal quilts this year.
Techniques:
Trash Collage – the background and the sun are batik scraps my friends Raquel and Kim could no longer find a use for – thanks ladies – talk about trash to treasure.
The background is fused and then stipple quilted for extra security of the pieces with Coats and Clark – Variegated #885.
The sun is trash collaged together in the center from 3 different fabrics and fused to a batting scrap for added dimension. The rays are additional batik scraps cut randomly to simulate movement seen in a blazing Sun. Then I used free motion straight stitch and free motion zig zag in YLI Variations – Teddy to secure the sun in place.
Decorative Yarn is machine couched in a spiral design in the center and around the exterior of the center in addition to the hand beading.
This year my journal quilts are going to be technique training and more experimental. With that in mind this piece is my first real attempt at hand beading – I just wanted to see if I liked it or not. After doing this piece I have decided I do like hand beading and now know that more will come in my life. My challenge is adding the embellishment so it is an asset to the piece and not overly done – which may be the case on this journal quilt. The line is simple in nature and I do like the motion and detail the beads add to the piece. I also like the variety of tonal color it adds. My thoughts now are that maybe it should have been more spaced – not a solid line, but learning what looks good is what experimenting is all about and the main reason for my journal quilts this year.
Techniques:
Trash Collage – the background and the sun are batik scraps my friends Raquel and Kim could no longer find a use for – thanks ladies – talk about trash to treasure.
The background is fused and then stipple quilted for extra security of the pieces with Coats and Clark – Variegated #885.
The sun is trash collaged together in the center from 3 different fabrics and fused to a batting scrap for added dimension. The rays are additional batik scraps cut randomly to simulate movement seen in a blazing Sun. Then I used free motion straight stitch and free motion zig zag in YLI Variations – Teddy to secure the sun in place.
Decorative Yarn is machine couched in a spiral design in the center and around the exterior of the center in addition to the hand beading.
Completed Piece
7 comments:
Pam, what a great idea for your journal quilts. You sure got the techniques in this one. I love the collage work, and the couching, and the beading!
It is wonderful, Pam. What a great result to your playing and experimenting!
GORGEOUS! Love the beadwork.
A fune piece Pam! Good work!
Where the heck have you been anyway? Seems like forever since I'd seen you blogging!
It has great movement...the beading is definately an asset...I like the solid line spiral. I think if you had spaced the beads out it would not have as much movement. Great job!
A beautiful piece, the beading really keeps your eye moving around it. Nicely done!
Way Cool!
Post a Comment