February 01, 2007

How to Build a HOUSE

My Sister finally moved to her new house after Christmas and I have been meaning to send her a happy new house postcard - yesterday I finally had some time to make it for her. I started with a basic pattern for inspiration from Debbie Mumm's "Seasons" and reduced it to postcard size. Then I needed a background so I started digging thru my scrap bag - yes it is literally a shopping bag full of scraps - the scraps are however somewhat organized - by color in large zip lock bags - so if I need blue, I can pull out the blue bag, etc... I found this wonderful cloud fabric for the sky - gosh I wish I had more of that for some landscape quilts but it serves it's purpose well on this card. Then I found the multicolored green in the green bag - Even tho the cast is a little olive - it like the dimension in the color and it kinda looks like fall grass to me - as it starts to turn to brown.


Next I thread painted the background - doodle quilted the sky area around the clouds with a light blue and then the grassy area in a darker olive green color.


Now for the house - all those little pieces are tough for me - getting them in the right place and so they look like the should - and do you notice the house is opposite from the original pattern - I never can get that reverse image thing correct on fusible applique patterns.




Here is my little house - fused to the background



And here it is with mortar added so it looks like a red brick house (yes my sister's house is red brick) Do you see the smoke coming out of the chimney?


Next I added some Landscaping - we always had daffodils in the spring at our house growing up - I hope she plants some daffodils in her new yard - I did at this house right outside the front door as a cheerful greeting for all who enter.



So here is the photo of my finished house - it took about 2 hours to complete - a lot of detail work on this one - but since it's for my sister it's worth it.



This goes in the mail tomorrow after I take it for show n tell at my inspirations club meeting. What do you think of my step by step PC posts - interesting or boring?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's terrific! What a great card. I always love a step out, it's always interesting to see the progression of a project.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I love to see the step-by-step pictures. I love to see the project come alive as details are added. Your card is wonderful. I bet your sister will be thrilled.

Anonymous said...

What a great postcard for your sister! I really appreciate that you took the time to take and post the step-by-step directions.

Kay said...

An interesting post, and a great card! She'll love it.

Kay said...

I get "no reply" for you and don't have an email, so I just wanted to say thanks for your comment on my blog. The fabric you asked about has a feather design and I quilted some feathers echoing the design. I thought it worked pretty well for snow drifts.