February 12, 2007

Sippin Pretty

For those of you who get Quilting Arts Magazine and are coffee drinker or have friends who LOVE their coffee - here is my interpretation of their 'Sippin Pretty' Article from the Winter 06 Issue


I gave it to my friend Marilyn who loves her coffee and the color purple - she was delighted with my experiment. Here is how it came together...

I started with a piece of the scrap batting and backing from my niece Lauren's Quilt.

Then I went to my scrap bag and pulled out several random pieces of purples, along with some black and white prints. After I had them in a pleasing arrangement, I took a picture and took them off and sprayed the batting (front and back) with temporary adhesive. Put the backing down - smoothed the batting over it and then I arranged purples and blacks again. In hind sight I should have sprayed the batting first but oh well.

Then I stipple quilted the entire piece in a variegated purple thread. Then I straight stitched in a horizontal direction across the piece in a metallic thread - some lines were double stitched for a more visible effect - some lines were zigzag stitched


Then I did decorative stitches along the different 'seams' and embellished with some fun yarns


Here is the finished piece - flat. It really was a fun project and took less than an hour to complete...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the coozy. I'm supposed to make some of these for our quilt show boutique in June. Glad to know it's so easy and so quick.