Where have I been since 2.25? Gee I can't believe it has been that long since I posted. Not for lack of things to share - just wayyyy to much going on...
Here is a quick rundown...
- Mar 3-5 - Cols OH for a quick visit w my Sister and family in route to NYC for Business
- Mar 5-8 - Business Trip to NYC - burr was it cold and it snowed..
- Mar12 - Small Group Meeting and make up Journal Quilt Class - as I am the teacher
- Mar 17 - Dallas Quilt Show
- Mar 22 - Apr 9 - My Parents VISIT (yes they slept 18 nights @ my house)
- Mar 23 Hubby's BD
- Mar 27 Quilt Meeting
- Mar 31 2nd Journal Quilt Class
- April 9-11 Business Trip to LA
- April 14 - Small Group Meeting - which I hostess
Pink n Brown Postcard for a swap on FABRICARDS Group
Yellow Charm Quilt for Grandma
When my parents arrived on Mar 22 from OHIO, we got word that grandma ~ age 94 (mom's mom) had finally made the decision to move into a local assisted living facility - this was a great relief to both my mom and my aunt as they had been encouraging this for several months now. I had "Quilt for Grandma" on my UFO list for the year so mom and I put this Yellow Charm Quilt together for her while my parents visited. Although it is not the original quilt I had thought I would make for her - I am pleased with the outcome. My parents were able to deliver it to her on their way home this week and she was delighted. Here are mom and me with our project.
March Journal Quilt for CPS Journal Quilt Group
"My Purple Practice Piece"
Starting with a collage of Purple Batiks and Hand Dyed Scraps I assembled a “solid” background piece. I call this technique Trash Collage and have used in frequently in my journal quilts. From there I let the subtle pattern differences in the fabric dictate my free-motion quilting stitches. In some areas tight full coverage stitches seemed appropriate – in others I used the pattern of the fabric as my guide. A few decorative stitches were incorporated as well for effect. Once the stitching was done, the embellishment started. First I added some ribbon by machine. In the upper left hand corner is my first experiment with Angelina and Crystalina fibers. The color change from the original surprised me but the effect is nice on the journal. I added the free motion spiral stitching for interest and the center bead as a focal point. Additional bead and sequin embellishment finish the piece. I started to do a hand buttonhole finish around the edges as the binding - after a 1" accomplishment - I decided it was too hard on my hands - especially my wrist and thumb to do the entire journal so I switched to machine - I did leave the little bit of hand work there as a representation of my attempt. I think the technique has merit if the piece uses traditional batting rather than the fase2fuse stabilizer I use on my journal quilts.
No comments:
Post a Comment