May 21, 2007

May Journal Quilt - Purple Cone Flower

Based on the themes for the CPS-Journal Group I belong to..

The themes for May were:
Bloom
Purple
Beading
Since purple is my FAVORITE Color and I love beading – I decided I could play along with the group theme for May.
I started with the gingham background. For some reason the contrast between the traditional gingham and the modern batik appeals to me. I cut the flowers from batik scraps and thread painted them in place. Then echo quilted around the flowers for background interest. The purple hand dye under the cone flower photos was given to me by a friend. I like the frame it gives the flowers. I printed the cone flower photos on regular muslin – and they came out a little pink so I added some fabric inks to give them a purpler look. The vertical embellishment was couched with mono filament thread.
When I saw the themes - I knew right away that I wanted to expand on a
postcard I had done last year for a swap, but with a new twist.
I started hand beading the individual cone flower frames but could not decide if it was right for the piece - so I hit a roadblock – how to finish the piece and it sat in my sewing room for almost 3 weeks starring at me before the final vision came to me. I found the purple ‘spiral’ paper clips while cleaning my room and feel they add the needed texture and movement. The little purple dragonfly – also found when organizing some embellishments – jumped right on to the piece to complete it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicely done!

Vicki W said...

This is a really nice piece! I really like the gingham as a background.

Granny Fran said...

I love everything about it with a purple passion! That little dragonfly was a great addition.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

That gingham background was a genius idea.