The Material Girls one of the small groups I belong to associated with the Frisco Quilt Guild is celebrating the holidays again this year by exchanging ornaments. We have done this for the past 3 years and enjoy an evening dinner together around the holidays. There are no requirements on the ornaments - just in the $5 range. I always plan to make my gift ornaments but don't usually get around to it - but I did this year - So my gift will be the darling little tree quilt below.
My friends know my math is not good - I was planning to make 7 but ended up w 14 as I had double the HST I needed for the trees - so I just made them all. So how are they made? The tree section is constructed of HST pieced to form a flying geese unit. Each takes 2 units. the top unit is a full unit, the bottom unit was trimmed to the seam allowance to make the tree look more proportionate, the trunk is a strip set. Then I added borders. The trees are machine quilted and the borders are free motion quilted. After the quilting was complete, I trimmed them down to a common size and double zig zagged the edges. For the sandwich - I used fusible fleece - my first experience with this as a batting - but definitely not my last - I see this in many applications - especially in art quilts... The finished size is approximately 4x5". I used a grommet as the hole to string the ribbon thru to hang them on the tree... I hope the MG's are not reading my blog until after we gather on Tuesday. If so - no pressure to make your ornaments this year.. But next year there may be. I hope they enjoy their ornaments as much as I enjoyed making them.. Check out Glad Yule - for more little tree projects as well. .
2 comments:
Oh how sweet! That sounds like a nice quick project...well, not 14 at a time but maybe a couple!ha!
I'm so happy that you were off on the calculations. I just adore mine! Thank you.
Post a Comment