January 06, 2008

Home Work for Class

I spent the better part of today in preparation for one of the classes I will be teaching this Spring at my local Bernina Store - called 'The Art Quilt Workshop". This class has evolved from the Journal Quilt Classes I taught there last year. Although I have known for a couple months this class would be offered in the class schedule - I have wrestled with what to teach - and I finally have a plan - at least for the first 2 months... The first month we will start with basic stitch techniques used for background texture in art quilts. For this I have almost completed a quilt called "Whole Cloth Stitch Collage" which is pictured below in it's current state.

The stitching is done, the binding, label and sleeve are in place - but it needs some embellishment. Which I will work as time permits in the evenings this week. I don't get much real sewing done during the week, but hand embellishment when I am sitting on the couch while detox from work is soothing. The photo below is of the different stitch detail used on the quilt.

I started with a tonal hand-dyed look fabric in reds, purples and oranges. No I did not dye the fabric - I am not a dyer (yet?) I used 3 of my favorites background stitches - a random grid pattern, a meandering pebble stitch, and a couched pearl cotton with echo stitch detail . I let the pattern of the color in the fabric inspire the random, asymmetrical placement of the stitches.

I also did a stitch sampler today which we will work on in class - to help my students build a creative stitch library. It's here below...

Nine different stitch details in all. Starting from top right - Banana, Leafy, Grid, Pebble, Echo, Stipple, Diagonal Grid, Wave, and Couched. I used a set of letter rubber stamps I found on sale at Hobby Lobby this week to stamp the names of the pattern designs on little labels I fused to the quilt.

Overall I am please with my work today - now for a little supper and some embellishment time.

1.7.08 -- OK so I can't really spell well and my rubber stamps don't have spell check - but I did catch my 2 typo's on the sampler last night (did you?) and ripped them off before the fusible really stuck - no worries easy to correct before I take to the store...

No comments: