The final piece in my primary/secondary color series – this one is all about ORANGE! Last and least in my opinion of colors – but I do find it wonderful in the fall when the leaves change so there is hope. And I don’t mind how this little piece turned out at all. I worried over what to do with this one and finally it came to me in the middle of the night – something with circles and thread painting… Finding orange fabric in my stash was also a challenge – but amidst a FQ pack for something else I found this acceptable candidate. To start I drew the focal feather free hand – then I outlined stitched it and added the horizontal stitches for subtle texture. Next the circles – I originally planned 6 – but when it came to fusing them in place - it just did not look right – so I opted for 3. They are secured with satin stitch, blanket stitch and straight stitch detail in combination. My original sketch calls for ‘pebble stitch’ to fill the background – I like it very much and realized later it is very appropriate as it looks like the skin of an orange. I do this in a figure 8 type motion and it fills the space nicely and adds a great texture at the same time. At this point the piece looked flat to me and I started considering embellishment ideas. Originally I had buttons laid out in the circles but did not love them – so I kept digging… I resorted to my favorite decorative paperclips – which just happened to be the perfect color. These are sewn in place by machine. The feather seemed to be lost on the piece and I wanted it to have more presence so I found this plastic canvas yarn that worked nicely to frame it. I used my free motion couching foot to attach the yarn and it worked great. Lastly I added the orange beads by hand in a random finger spaced pattern to the horizontal lines in the feather.
My 2007 Journal Quilt Color Study
My personal challenge was to do a journal quilt in each of the primary and secondary colors on the color wheel. Each journal needed to experiment with a different technique as well. The results are below - click the names for each quilt to read up on the details...




3 comments:
That's a really nice series Pam. I happen to love orange and particularly like that one!
Congratulations on your 100th post. I love all the journal quilts.
wowser, i love the art quilts with a study of colors. Ok now I am challenged to try that. Orange is my favorite color. And I see Vick made a comment on your post. I took a class from her last month. She's a great teacher.
Post a Comment