Moody Blues - December 2007 Journal Quilt!
This is piece #5 in my primary and secondary color series and is all about blue. My original thought was that this piece be called Blues Bluster as I worked on it in December and it was cold and rainy here in Dallas, but I abandoned that thought in recall of the names of the other pieces being a play on more common phrases. This name fits the piece as well – I have been in a funky mood lately and it is Blue. The fact that is #5 is ironic as you will notice the repetition of 5 throughout which happened accidentally. I actually did not even think about what number in the series it was until I began to journal the back. I started with one of my favorite blues used in landscape postcards for the sky. I added the batik scraps with vertical stitch detail. Then I rubber stamped the flowers in a diagonal direction and used them as the guide for thread painting. Next the piece hung on my design wall for a few days – waiting for the finishing details to come to me – there was A LOT of open space at that point and I almost abandoned it and started over. I love the end result though – the embellishment adds movement and textural interest to the design as well as filling the open spaces. Repetition is good – and 5 is the number for this piece. It worked well here – multiples of 5 flowers echo the FME design and add balance. What about the dragonfly? Well it is the remnant of a broken toe ring – too cute to discard – I love the way the hand stitched ‘flight’ whimsically draws your attention to the Color of the piece.
BONUS
Pics of some little art quilts I have been playing with - a sprial series.
Spiral #1, Spiral #2 and Spiral # 3.
Each approx 5x7"
Sprial #1 is rubber stamped on the background and machine quilted. Tiny buttons add simple embellishment. Yarn border is couched.
Sprial #2 is cut freely from a 5" fabric circle backed with fusible web. The sprials are fused and stitched in place. Echo quilting completes the piece. Simple triple stitch detail borders the piece.
Sprial #3 consists of 3 decoative paperclips - secured by machine. Funky yarn divides the piece horizontially and is echoed by machine quilting. Subtle bead embellishment and satin stitch border finish the piece.
Inspired by a self published book I bought @ the last DAFA meeting from Deborah Boschert. These were quick and lots of fun - my head is spinning with more ideas to make more little series quilts... To finish - I may mount on an artist's canvas and considering embellishment on spiral #2? But the stitching may be enough on this one - only time will tell. Thanks for the jump start!!
No comments:
Post a Comment