June 02, 2008

And the winner is...

Me.. My guild had a 'challenge' for the May Meeting - Go Green - I was not sure i would enter - but over Memorial Day Weekend - I put my mind to it and made a quilt to enter. I wanted to do a tree. I love trees - If you recall I did a journal quilt series in 2006 - all trees. I started with a pattern from Big Block Quilts





Carefully selected my fabrics for the background and the tree... Then I cautiously started the cutting and piecing process... I found the directions in this book difficult to follow - great for completely visual people - I needed a few more words. It took me about 4 hours to piece this block for the quilt - but at the end - I made a huge mistake - I cut 2 of the blocks wrong - I almost threw-up... But I fiddled with the layout and the end result was going to be OK.




Once the border was complete - the quilting began... I used a combination of thread painting and traditional quilting for this piece. the tree and trunk are free motion thread painted in variegated thread. the background is grid quilted and the border is a combination of traditional quilting (in the green areas) and thread painting in the outer border for the completed piece. the quilt is approximately 29" square and won top honors in 3 of 4 categories in the challenge and 2nd in the 4th. I would have been happy with one ribbon, and am almost embarrassed by 4 on one quilt The next picture is a detail of the thread painting on the 'leaves' and the trunk...


This is a closeup of the background quilting and the border...

. PS my friends tell me they like my mistake better than the original block pattern

2 comments:

Kim West said...

that is great... mistake and all...

Vicki W said...

I agree with your friends - I love your version!