June 02, 2008

Class SAmple - Finally

Finally completed - the class sample for May's AQWS - yes it was completed after the class... I am a firm believer that a piece will tell you when it's finished and I really struggled with this one. The outcome is OK - not my favorite -but not horrible...

The class was on fabric collage techniques. I used a variety of interesting textural fabrics and coordinated the piece with a wonder batik FQ from my stash. The fabrics included - denim from DH's old jeans, a piece of a sweater the dog chewed a hole in years ago, a piece of rip stop from a favorite pair of pants that 'ripped' on vacation last year. I used these to frame other pieces of fabric - a piece of an original Hoffman Print, a piece of my first (and only) attempt @ needle felting. there is lots of thread painting, hand stitching and embellishment (of course).Each section is outlined with a different fun yarn. To complete the piece - I did a machine binding and added pearl cotton to the edge for a nice finished look.

Denim and Batik - Detail.
The denim is thread painted with a pebble stitch and embellished with some beads - resurrected from fringe - set on washers from the hardware store. the batik is grid quilted and has decorative paper clips attached for texture and dimension.

Hoffman original swatch -set on Rip Stop
The piece is machine blanket stitched in place and embellished with hand-stitches in pearl cotton, buttons from my friend Karen and scrapbook brads.

Batik and Binding Detail
Again grid stitched and embellished w shell discs form my guild secret sister. Variegated thread was used on the linear stitch detail across the geometric triangle pattern.

No comments: