I know fiber ATC's have been around for awhile and I have made a few here and there but recently I have started to use these as as testing ground so to speak for techniques I want to use on larger pieces of work some day - not to mention these cute little things can be quite addicting.
Here are pics of some I have made recently:

#1. The first
ATC is a simple grid background with a woven fused grid and
spiral on top - a rhinestone was added as a focal element. Yes the loose threads are meant to be there - just to add
a little movement to the piece... This was done with straight stitch only... I made 2 of these - similar but each unique.

#2. The second
ATC is a true technique test - I am teaching a class at the local
Bernina Store on fused art quilts - from the book by
Laura Wasilowski - Fusing Fun! The sample I made for the class was an interpretation of the Posy Picture on pg.16 (watch for this on another blog post sometime soon). Laura does some hand work - which I love - but I also love the challenge of interpreting handwork by machine and for this class - that is one of the techniques I will teach. So I made this little ATC of the flowers in the quilt - to test my machine quilting methods. I like how it turned out - but decided on something different for the actual quilt. This ATC is one of a kind.

#3. The 3rd
ATC is just a fun Collage of Pink and Black - The background was an exercise in stitch length. I save cut off backings from quilts (you know the ones that are 3-4 inches larger than the top) and try to use them for things - So I cut a 15" or so piece from one and added the pink fabric to the top. I started out stitching in a curved line down the center of the 4"wide piece - when I got to each end - I changed the stitch
length It created interesting motion on the large piece. Then I cut the
ATC's to the standard 2.5x 3.5 size and fused the grey linear rectangle and the black strips. The vertical black strip is black craft felt and the
horizontal strips are fused fabric - I used a variegated black and white thread in a vertical echo
stitch and to finish I added some heat set black metal studs. I love the way they look - some what
Asian in appearance I think... There are 5 of these in slightly different variations.

#4. Another technique test... Another left-over scrap from a quilt back the purple gingham is fairly boring as a starting point but I like making something from ugly ducklings - so I added a backing to this piece. I foiled this piece -using fusible web - my first try with foil - it's OK - I think I need more practice to master using this wonder embellishment. Fused Satin, Couched Yarn, Buttons and a funky paper clip finish the piece. I made 4 of these - plus one that is a little under size i will use as a gift tie on or something.

#5. Last but not least - the set that started my
ATC frenzy. When I was cleaning my studio recently - I found some
ATC's I had started several years ago - they had white hearts and lace on them - but I had stopped working on them because I did not like how they were coming out.... Fast forward to Dec 2009 these little cards surfaced and I decided I needed to try again - I ripped the hearts and lace off them - and
tried adding some newspaper with a tissue paper overlay (similar to the paste paper technique) for some reason the news print did not adhere -even with the overlay - but the tissue did -
kind of...
So, determined to make these work - I ripped off the newsprint. Some of the tissue remained and I was OK with that. Next I stamped some circles on the cards with a jar lid and a smaller metal ring. While the paint was wet - i sprinkled it with glitter. Once dry, I added some detail stitching and a piece of silver ribbon - it was too much so I added some additional red stitching for a more subtle look... Finally I couched some red yarn and added red buttons - WOW I love them - talk about trash to treasure... there are 10 of these little gems.
I plan to share some with family and friends for Valentines Day - but there are extras... Anyone want to swap???
No comments:
Post a Comment