March 16, 2010

FAT 3-Day Challenge

So I flip open FAT tonight when I get home from work - b/c I am home much earlier than usual being as most of the office is on Spring Break this week and I see this challenge... I love a good challenge - late to the party but ready to play the game. I started with a piece of something similar to cotton duck - but loosely woven.... Added text w my new favorite notion - the Pentel Gel Pen for Fabric - I just found it this weekend @ the Dallas Quilt Show - and LOVE it so much that I think I need to by in bulk... The words are just a random babble about the challenge and my new toy - the pen and my original thoughts and inspiration for DAY 1 of the challenge

Then I get out my fabric paints and dyes and add some color - green (wonder why??) I used a water diluted version of Fantastix spring green and Luminere Metallic olive - let it dry a couple hours while I ate supper and watched IDOL... Then encouraged it to dry more with some electric heat from my iron and Teflon press cloth... and fused a back to the piece. It's a funky lime green commercial cotton that I had in my fused fabric box - works nicely with my color theme...

Next up was the FOIL - I had a stray piece of fusible that had lost it's backing so I fused it to my Teflon press sheet with a piece of release paper on top and peeled it off and stretched it in hopes of a lace effect - so so - there is a little more coverage in some places than desired but over all still OK...
Finally added stitching - I decided to keep it simple, but symbolic to the theme... I used the edge of the foil as my starting point and used a slightly elongated straight stitch, then echo stitched from that original guide. Originally I intended to use one of my favorite YLI variegated threads MEADOW but decided that - it might be too much green (???)... So I used a close 2nd favorite variegated from Isacord #9916 in hopes of an abstract rainbow effect...
Anxiously waiting for part 2 tomorrow - hope I can play... Tonight was completely off the cuff and a lot of fun just working from the simple guidelines established - playing is good...

No comments: