January 14, 2006

Scrap Happy Saves the Day

Alittle story to tell...(maybe a long story to tell)
I gave this quilt called scrap happy to my dad for his 70th birthday in 2003. It is a bonus quilt - which means that I sewed 2.5" charms together into 2p at the end of seams on other quilting projects instead of just sewing off on a scrap of fabric or pulling the thread and cutting... I then sewed the 2p into 4p in the same manner - when a I had a bunch made - I trimmed to a common size and put a log cabin frame on each one... and then put the little logcabin-4p together in offset rows... It's a wonderful quilt and a year's worth of love sewn into it... When hubby and I were in Ohio for Christmas to visit my folks - their house was broken into... No one was home but the house was randsacked - and random things were taken - this quilt was one of them - but the antique quilts on the beds in the house and other quilted things I have given my mom were untouched - very strange they would find this in a dresser drawer and take it - unless it was used to carry other things out of the house... I was heart broken that this quilt I had given my dad was taken. But I do keep a quilt journal and photo's of all the quilts I have made - so my parents were able to give photo's to the detectives of the quilt as something to look for... So yesterday my parents get a call from the detectives - and they would like to come to show my parents a photo of a quilt on a bed in a house that might be this quilt... Based on the photo's my parents had on hand - and the photo the detective had the police were able to obtain a search warrent for the house and went in and found several of the other things taken from my parents home... including Scrap Happy... I am elated the quilt is back home and it is amazing that this quilt would be the link that will help to nail this guy... so the moral of the story is keep pictures of the quilts you make and give and keep a journal too to remember your quilts - you never know when the records will be needed for something other than fond memories of your creations...

Off to stitch group today - Happy Saturday Everyone!!

6 comments:

Suze said...

Wow Pam..that's super that your quilt helped nail the bad guys! Cool...and the quilt is a very nice quilt too...

Micki said...

glad to hear the quilt was recovered after all your hard work and love going into it for your dad.

jenclair said...

Congratulations! I suspect recovery is a rare thing, indeed. Have to wonder how the police came by the photo of the quilt on the bed in the suspect's house. Sounds like a story in itself.

Granny Fran said...

Boy, fantastic quilt and fantastic story. Glad your Dad has the quilt back. Should we do a comfort quilt to keep the thief warm in jail?

Anonymous said...

Granny Fran's comment was funny! We need to make it from b&W stripes and orange jumpsuit fabric!

That is a great story!!! So cool!

Helen said...

OO the colours in your quilt are beautiful and I'm glad it was recovered.