April 23, 2006

April Journal Quilt - REVEAL

Last weekend as I was sorting thru the mail - I came across a wonderful abstract tree used in an advertisement for an insurance company - even tho I had something else in my mind for my April Journal - I had not started yet, and when I saw this it became my inspiration for my April Journal... My intrepretation is some what loose, as my sky is blue, my grass is green, and my tree is brown- but I think you will see the influence of this as my starting place. So ta da - here it is...
My April Poems is as follows:
The Apple Tree
By Peter A. Crowther

O wise and patient apple tree
Stirred by the wind from across the sea
Your branches shake unceasingly

On sunny days your shining leaves
Give welcome shade and sanctuary
To cheerful sparrows, starlings, wrens
Bright-eyed blackbirds, collard doves
To all you are a place of rest
And peace, but seasons pass, leaves fall

Then comes the snows of winter when
Bare-boughed you slumber until spring
And every heart uplifts to see
Such beauty in a living tree.
In autumn when your apples thud
Upon the ground, we share them equally

With blackbird, thrush and butterfly
For you are generous in your gifts.
Like us one day you’ll surely die
Yet unlike us you do not fret
About tomorrow, you take each day
Just as it comes and simply be.

So teach us wisdom apple tree
Whose branches shake unceasingly
Stirred by the wind from across the sea
I used my same method for the back - journaling the techniques, threads and stitches used to create my April Tree. I don't know if anyone remembers my first tree in January - how I felt it to be very "kindergarten - construction paper technique in feel" I feel much better about it now as I realize it was the practice piece for my April Journal - which I am very happy with.

11 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Love your tree! and Dottie--what fun to have a bird, nest and then babies! I am watching the bluebirds in my yard and I think I hear babies in the house. I hope I don't miss seeing them leave.

Becky said...

I love your April tree, especially the blue and green background. It looks so cheery!

Sandra said...

You SHOULD be proud of this piece. It turned out wonderful. Your treatment of the sky and grass adds so much richness to the piece. Great job.

Barbara C said...

Very nice pieced background. I find that I'm inspired by odds and ends like magazine ads sometimes too. Lovely piece.

Granny Fran said...

Such a beautiful piece. Love the way you gave so much interest by piecing the blue and green fabrics for the sky and grass. Great take off of the ad.

jenclair said...

This is my favorite tree! I love the colors!

Deb Hardman said...

Hi Pam, I'm so glad I found you. You had posted on my blog & there wasn't a link back to you. Your work is wonderful! I love the tree, & the postcards! They are GREAT! What fun. Great use of scrap bits!

Micki said...

Your journal turned out fabulous. I love the whole look of what you did.

Deb Geyer said...

Very nice! I like the movement in the background... looks like the wind is blowing the tree.

Kay said...

It's great! There seems to be so much movement to this because of some of the blue fabrics.

Marianne said...

I like the way you 'stick' to the trees and keep exploring them! Great image you found and you succeeded in making it your own. Like others have mentioned, the colorful pieced background is wonderful.